Aston Villa lost their first game in eight today, away at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The early minutes of the game were a little odd, with Hutton comitting into a rash challenge against Ivan Cavaleiro, which luckily only resulting in a swift talking to.

Hutton made up for this in the 11th minute by making a great last-ditch tackle to stop a one-on-one between Helder Costa and Johnstone. Snodgrass received a yellow card just after this, as Aston Villa were sloppy in possession and the Scot took it upon himself to clean up with a late challenge on Cavaleiro.

Within the first thirty minutes, there wasn’t much to rave about for either side – although there were attempts on goal. Both sides had penalty shouts, but the referee held strong with his decisions.

Ruben Neves had an amazing chance at a screamer, but was denied emphatically by Johnstone with a wonderful save.

Leo Bonatini came on at half time, replacing Helder Costa – becoming the focal point of the Wolves attack and putting more pressure on the Villa defence.

Diego Jota, Wolves’ star man this season, put the Wanderers ahead ten or so minutes into the second half with a thundering strike into the roof of the net. Cavaleiro played a great ball into the box and Jota used the space well.

Alan Hutton capped off what was already a great performance, by continually stopping Ivan Cavaleiro from darting into the box.

After a Aston Villa attack, Wolves countered with a piercing run from Jota, who managed to slip through three Villa defenders and take a shot at Johnstone which was saved, but Leo Bonatini was there to capitalise at the far post, putting Wolves 2-0 up.

Villa’s inability in front of goal made them suffer tonight, and was shown exactly by a pathetic Kodjia cross that could have got Villa back in the game.

Johnstone stopped Villa from going 3-0 down with two outstanding saves on the goal line, which Leo Bonatini really should have capitalised on more.

Youngster Callum O’Hare came on as Villa’s third sub of the night, getting a ten minute run out.

Snodgrass came close with eight minutes to go, curling a free-kick attempt towards the top right corner – which unfortunately bounced off the crossbar.

Overall, it was a poor game on Villa’s part, and much improvement is needed before Fulham.







Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.